Woman recovering in hospital after early morning blaze on Monterrey

Woman recovering in hospital after early morning blaze on Monterrey

POSTED: Friday, July 13, 2012 - 1:00pm

UPDATED: Friday, July 13, 2012 - 5:03pm

A Baton Rouge woman is recovering in the hospital after she was injured while trying to escape from her burning home with her small child.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department reports that the incident occurred at a home on Monterrey at around 7:00 a.m. on Friday, July 13. We’re told the fire destroyed the living room and hallway of the home, blocking the primary escape route.

“This is why we recommend for folks to practice an escape plan and have more than one option for escaping the home,” Curt Monte, Baton Rouge Fire Department, explained.

A woman and her small child were asleep in the home when the fire began. Thankfully, the smoke detectors were in working order and alerted her of the blaze.

“The biggest cause of fire deaths is when they happen over night when folks are sleeping,” Monte noted. “Having a working smoke detector in your home increases your chance of survival by more than 50 percent.”

Without her primary route, the woman was forced to an exit located at the back of her home. However, she was unable to open the wood frame door and was forced to break the glass in the center. With her small child in hand, she pushed her way out of the door. Although unharmed by the fire, the woman did receive lacerations from the broken glass. She was transported to a local hospital for treatment. The child was unharmed.

An estimated $130,000 of damage was done. Investigators believe an electrical malfunction sparked the blaze and foul play is not suspected at this time. However, the case remains under investigation.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department is called to roughly 600 structure fires annually. These fires only include those that occur in the Baton Rouge area. They say the most common cause is due to unattended cooking. They say the best way to combat those staggering numbers is by informing the public and preventing them from ever occurring in the first place.

“People do get complacent and they have the attitude that it will never happen to them,” Monte said. “If they have that attitude, it could be life threatening.”
 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment