Woman killed, man in critical condition due to I-12 crash

Woman killed, man in critical condition due to I-12 crash
Photo provided by MGN Online.

POSTED: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 10:00am

UPDATED: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 - 10:04am

A crash involving three passenger vehicles and two 18-wheelers on I-12 claimed the life of a woman, critically injured her husband, and sent two more people to the hospital with injuries.

According to Walker Police, the crash happened at roughly 11:30 p.m. on Tuesday, July 23 on I-12 westbound, a mile west of Satsuma.

“We are continuing to investigate this tragic accident,” Captain John Sharp, Walker Police Public Information Officer, said. “Based on what we know at this time, it appears that a westbound 18-wheeler changed lanes to avoid a westbound pickup truck towing a disabled Ford Focus that pulled from the outside road shoulder into the lane of travel. While changing lanes, the 18-wheeler struck a westbound Volkswagon convertible, sending it into the path of a second 18-wheeler.”

The resulting crash blocked both westbound lanes of travel. Police are still gathering information and working to determine the condition of the accident victims.

“The Volkswagon was occupied by Matthew Barr and Hayle Barr from Dallas Texas who we understand may have recently relocated to Baton Rouge,” Captain Sharp stated. “Ms. Barr was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident by the Livingston Parish Coroner’s Office. Mr. Barr was transported to Our Lady of the Lake Hospital in Baton Rouge where he is in extremely critical condition.”

Police believe the truck and the car being towed were occupied by a man and his daughter.

“We have tentatively determined that the pickup truck was under the operation of a woman and that she was towing a Ford Focus occupied by her father,” explained Captain Sharp. “Both of these individuals appeared to have suffered minor to moderate injuries and were transported by ambulance to a local hospital. Their identities are not yet available.”

Police report that neither of the 18-wheeler drivers was injured.

Both westbound lanes of I-12 were closed for over three hours while the officers investigated.

“At approximately 2:45 a.m. we were able to reopen one westbound lane of travel,” said Sharp. “However, both lanes were again closed at 4:15 a.m. to permit vehicle recovery.”

The interstate was fully reopened at 4:50 a.m.

Charges in connection with this fatal accident are pending.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment