What is the chemical leaking on I-10, why is it so dangerous?

POSTED: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 4:53pm

UPDATED: Wednesday, August 22, 2012 - 6:25pm

Few people in Baton Rouge knew the name of the chemical Isobutane before today. However, it’s something that’s found in almost every home.

Isobutane is often found in home air conditioner units. With 9,000 gallons of leaking on to I-10, we asked the experts what makes it so dangerous.

Isobutane has a high flammability, which means any little spark could set it off. Like gasoline, it's also a pretty volatile chemical, which is drawing out the clean-up efforts.

"It releases a vapor or gas, much like the propane you use in your BBQ pits at home,” Curt Monte, Baton Rouge Fire Department, explained. “The dangers of Isobutane are obviously its flammability and that's what workers are worried about at this point"

The clean up efforts with this leak are set to take over 24-hours. Another obstacle has been the damaged release valve. Click here to learn more about how the accident happened and the continued challenge facing cleanup workers.
 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment