United Blood Services announces emergency blood shortage
BATON ROUGE, LA (NBC33) — United Blood Services announced an emergency need for all blood types. They are asking the community to respond as quickly as possible. Since the beginning of 2013, Baton Rouge has experienced blood shortages due to the elevated patient usage in local hospitals. “An accident victim, a trauma patient, a mother giving birth- all of these are real life situations taking place in our community that require the need for lifesaving blood.” said Jason Conner, Donor Recruitment Supervisor. “There is no substitute for blood. Only healthy human beings will do.”
United Blood Services says that they are grateful for the number of donors that presented in January to help in these critical times. Unfortunately, with the consistent elevated patient usage there has been minimal recovery. It is necessary to inform blood donors and the public that NOW is the time to donate blood. Here’s how you can help:
- Schedule your blood donation online immediately by going to our website, www.bloodhero.com
- Donate at United Blood Services, 8234 One Calais Baton Rouge, LA
Saturday: 8:00am to 2:00pm
Sunday: 7:00am to 1:00pm
Monday & Tuesdays 8:00am to 6:00pm
- Go online to find a mobile unit in your area
- Facebook a friend and spread the word that ALL blood types are needed today
- Bring a buddy with you to give the gift of life
- For more information about qualifying to donate blood, call 1-877-827-4376.
Volunteer donors must be at least 16 years of age and weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good health. Sixteen year olds must have a signed United Blood Services parental permission form to donate. All donors 16-22 years of age must meet certain height and weight requirements. Please bring photo ID and a list of any medications you are currently taking.