United Blood Services announces emergency need for all types
POSTED: Thursday, February 7, 2013 - 9:30am
UPDATED: Monday, February 25, 2013 - 6:01pm
Baton Rouge, La — United Blood Services is announcing an emergency need for all blood types.
Since the beginning of 2013, blood shortages have been experienced due to the elevated patient usage in local hospitals.
“An accident victim, a trauma patient, a mother giving birth - all of these are real life situations taking place in our community that require the need for lifesaving blood. A family somewhere is hoping that you will put yourself in their shoes and give blood for their loved one,” said Jason Conner, Donor Recruitment Supervisor. “There is no substitute for blood. Only healthy human beings will do.”
UBS is grateful for the number of donors that presented in January to help in these critical times. Unfortunately, with the consistent elevated patient usage, they've had minimal recovery.
Here’s how you can help:
- Schedule your blood donation online immediately by going to the website www.bloodhero.com
- Donate blood at United Blood Services, 8234 One Calais Baton Rouge, LA
Center Hours: Saturday: 8:00am to 2:00pm, Sunday: 7:00am to 1:00pm
Monday & Tuesdays 8:00am to 6:00pm
- Go online to find a mobile unit in your area
- Facebook a friend and spread the word that ALL blood types are needed today
- Bring a buddy with you to give the gift of life
- For more information about qualifying to donate blood, call 1-877-827-4376
Volunteer donors must be at least 16 years of age and weigh at least 110 pounds and be in good health. Sixteen year olds must have a signed United Blood Services parental permission form to donate. All donors 16-22 years of age must meet certain height and weight requirements. Please bring picture ID and a list of any medications you are currently taking.