Two dogs perish in house fire caused by space heater, home destroyed

Two dogs perish in house fire caused by space heater, home destroyed

POSTED: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 11:28am

UPDATED: Thursday, February 28, 2013 - 1:03pm

A space heater is believed to be the spark of a fire that killed two family pets and caused roughly $80,000 worth of damage to a Baton Rouge home.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department reports that the blaze broke out at roughly 6:00 a.m. on Thursday, Feb. 28. When firefighters arrived to the residence on Erie Street, the structure was engulfed in flames. Officials say the heat was so intense it melted the front end of a car that was parked near the home.

The residents of the home were able to escape unharmed. However, two family dogs did not make it out and perished in the flames.

Investigators believe the fire started from a space heater that was placed too closely to combustibles.

Space heaters should be kept at least 3 feet away from anything that will burn. Click here for more fire safety tips.
 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment