Temporary power outage while cooking dinner causes fire in Baker
BAKER, LA (NBC33) — A family cooking dinner and a temporary power outage started a fire that caused an estimated $45,000 in damages.
Just before 9:30 p.m. on Monday, March 26, the Baker Fire Department was called to a home on Gwendolyn Drive. When they arrived there was heavy smoke coming from the home and the fire had broken through the roof.
One of the occupants explained that he was cooking chicken when the electricity went out. He said he removed the chicken from the grease and thought the electric stove was turned off. That’s when everyone left the home.
A neighbor later noticed smoke coming from the home and called the fire department. While the occupants of the home were gone the power had been restored and the stove was still on.
Fortunately, no one was hurt.