Seventh fire related death in less than week

Seventh fire related death in less than week
Photo provided by State Fire Marshal's Office.

POSTED: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 2:59pm

UPDATED: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 3:06pm

An early morning fire has occurred in St. Tammany Parish that has claimed the life of the occupant in this home; in a release today by State Fire Marshal H. “Butch” Browning.

The St. Tammany Fire District 12 responded at 1:32 a.m. to Goldfinch Road for a report by neighbors that a residence was on fire. When firefighters arrived minutes later they discovered the home in flames.

An off duty Louisiana Probation and Parole Agent made several attempts to rescue the only occupant inside. Despite the heroic efforts, firefighters located the body of a man who did live in the home. His name is being withheld until proper notification to the family is made.

The home did have working smoke alarms.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office is conducting an investigation into this tragic loss. Fire marshal deputies have determined that this fire originated in the living room and found a space heater that was energized and located within inches of a combustible chair. The St. Tammany Sheriff’s Office is also jointly assisting in this death investigation.

Fire Marshal Browning stated, “This is the seventh death to fire this Christmas holiday, we are so sad to see these tragedies. Information indicates that a space heater caused this fire and we do not know why the man did not escape when the alarm sounded, perhaps he tried to fight the fire”.



 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment