Prairieville teen dies from injuries sustained in house fire

Prairieville teen dies from injuries sustained in house fire
Photo provided by the State Fire Marshal's Office.

POSTED: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 12:30pm

UPDATED: Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 12:34pm

After spending a day in the hospital, a Prairieville teen died from injuries he sustained during a fire at his family home.

The State Fire Marshal’s Office reports that the 15-year-old died at Our Lady of the Lake Medical center in Baton Rouge on Monday, May 27 at 8:30 p.m. He was transported there from St. Elizabeth Hospital in Gonzales.

The teen was injured on Sunday, May 26 at roughly 6:00 a.m. Firefighters were able to rescue the boy, but his injuries were severe.

Investigators are currently working to figure out what sparked the blaze. Although they have not found any suspicious circumstances, they have noted that there were no working smoke alarms in the home at the time of the fire.

“This is a terrible loss, the firefighters did all they could to save this young man. We must remember that 'Smoke Alarms' save lives. If your family does not have them, act today and install them in your home,” Butch Browning, State Fire Marshal, said.

Officials have not released the name of the teen.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment