Motor home explodes in St. Amant, homes up to 12 miles away feel ground shake due to blast
ST. AMANT, LA — A motor home camper exploded in St. Amant in the early evening hours of November 3.
The St. Amant & Sorrento Fire Departments responded to call at 5:09 p.m. stating that a motor home camper had exploded in the 10500 block of Savoy Rd.
Firefighters arrived to find the motor home completely destroyed, with debris spread out across an open field as much 90 ft. from the camper. Several of the surrounding homes were damaged by the explosion with several windows blown out.
The home owner was checking for propane leaks on the motor home when it exploded. Witness in the area saw the explosion throw the home owner as much as 20 to 30 ft from the explosion site. The homeowner was transported to a local facility with moderate injuries.
Social media sites quickly filled up with comments wondering what exploded. Homes in Ascension Parish as far away as 12 miles were shaken by the explosion.