Holden responds to rift with Metro Council
POSTED: Monday, December 19, 2011 - 8:08pm
UPDATED: Monday, December 19, 2011 - 8:46pm
BATON ROUGE, LA (NBC33) —
The fight between Mayor President Kip Holden and the East Baton Rouge Metro Council continues tonight.
Mayor Holden says the metro council is trying to micro manage his office and strip him of any control.
Last week, the council removed more than a million dollars from Holden's office in the 2012 budget.
Then the council over rode two vetoes signed by the mayor.
Holden says he's all he wants to do is keep city workers employed, avoiding furloughs, and he says won't back down from the fight.
"They are not speaking for the people, because I'm not hearing from the people," said Holden, "What I'm hearing from those on the Council who are hell bent on trying to weaken the power of the mayor's office."
Last week Mayor Pro Tem Mike Walker told NBC33 communication between the Council and the Mayor-President was the source of all the problems.