Gruesome injury caused to man after ‘sparkler bomb’ explodes in his hands
POSTED: Thursday, July 5, 2012 - 11:53am
UPDATED: Thursday, July 5, 2012 - 5:53pm
KENNER, LA (NBC33) — A Kenner man is in the hospital recovering from a gruesome injury caused by a homemade “sparkler bomb.”
The incident happened shortly before midnight on Tuesday, July 3 on the 2700 block of Sharon Street.
Daniel Duzac, 19, reportedly bundled together roughly 12-dozen sparklers with duct tape. He attempted to create a fuse that would allow him to light the device and then walk away. However, investigators say the fuse didn’t work and the pyrotechnic exploded in his hands.
WDSU reports that damage was sustained to three nearby vehicles, including broken windshields on each and a hubcap knocked off of one.
Several people witnessed the explosion and they say it was “extensive and gruesome.”
Duzac was rushed to a local hospital where he is still being treated for his injuries.
Similar to Baton Rouge, pyrotechnics are illegal in within the City of Kenner. Reports did not indicate whether Duzac was issued a citation.
We’ll have more on this story on NBC33 News at 5:00 p.m.