Grease fire sparks blaze in home of elderly Lafayette man

Grease fire sparks blaze in home of elderly Lafayette man
Photo provided by the Lafayette Fire Department.

POSTED: Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 5:15pm

UPDATED: Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 5:19pm

A grease fire destroyed an elderly man’s home this afternoon. Fortunately, he was not injured.

The Lafayette Fire Department responded to the call shortly before 3:00 p.m. on Thursday, May 30. When they arrived to the home on Dolese Street, they saw heavy smoke billowing out of the front door.

Firefighters made their way inside and found the source of the blaze in the kitchen. They were able to extinguish the blaze, but the home sustained heavy smoke and fire damage.

The owner of the home, John Lecure, 76, was made it outside safely before firefighters arrived. He told them that the fire erupted when he was cooking french fries on the stove. While he was cooking, he stepped away momentarily and when he came back, the cabinets were on fire.

Lecure attempted to extinguish the blaze, but he was unsuccessful. That’s when he called for help.

Officials say he does not have any insurance. The American Red Cross is providing him assistance.
 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment