Fried turkey cooking tips
POSTED: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 6:33pm
UPDATED: Tuesday, December 27, 2011 - 2:17pm
Baton Rouge, La (NBC33) —
Fried turkeys are a holiday tradition, and here are some tips you should know before frying a turkey:
- Thaw the turkey before you put it in the oil. If it's frozen, the ice can cause hot, bubbling oil to flash over.
- Don't overfill the pot with oil before putting the turkey in. Doing so can also cause a flash fire.
- Turn the flame off before you put the turkey in.
- Use the fryer outside, away from the house or porch.
- Finally, keep the right kind of fire extinguisher handy.