Fire station goes up in smoke due to electrical malfunction
POSTED: Sunday, September 9, 2012 - 12:30pm
UPDATED: Sunday, September 9, 2012 - 12:34pm
NEW ORLEANS, LA (WDSU) — A fire station in Slidell was damaged by a fire Saturday.
Authorities with the St. Tammany Fire Department said a firefighter heard a popping noise in the engine room at Station 14 and quickly called for help.
Officials said the engine assigned to the station was in the area picking up supplies, and other trucks were sent to the blaze.
Authorities said it took about 23 minutes to extinguish the fire, and the 3,500-foot station was more than 50 percent damaged. A hose tender was also parked in the engine bay at the time.
The firefighters at the station will be reassigned to a nearby station until repairs can be made.