Fire at furniture store in Eunice gets a lot of attention online

Fire at furniture store in Eunice gets a lot of attention online
Photo provided by Eunice Today.

POSTED: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 5:45pm

UPDATED: Wednesday, May 16, 2012 - 5:49pm

A fire at a furniture store in Eunice got a lot of attention on Facebook today. That’s because part of a major road had to be closed.

“I had to shut down part of U.S. 190,” Chief Michael Arnold, Eunice Fire Department, explained. “The store is located on the south side of 190, looking north. The hydrant was located across the street. The hose was very large and would have been hard for cars to drive over. Also, it’s an expensive hose for cars to pass on. So we blocked the road until we had enough water to shut down the fire.”

The fire started shortly before 2:00 p.m. on Wednesday, May 16 at Brown’s Furniture Store, which was recently renovated. Chief Arnold says the fire started in a very isolated area of the attack. By the time the fire was extinguished, 10 percent of the store had suffered from the fire, and the remaining showroom area had sustained smoke and water damage.

“Where it started at, it would be hard for me to imagine foul play,” Chief Arnold explained when asked if a cause had been determined. “It appears it started in between the ceiling and attack. Plus, I didn’t find any bottle shards or plastic that would have been left over if someone had started it.”

A worker at the store did attempt to control the fire prior to firefighter’s arrival. He had to be treated for smoke inhalation by EMS workers at the scene.

“He was checked out and back on the scene before I ever left after putting the fire out,” Chief Arnold noted. “So there were no serious injuries.”

Regarding the amount of attention the fire received, Chief Arnold says he was encouraged by the support offered from other firehouses.

“I started getting a lot of calls from other stations asking if we needed help because they saw the news on the Internet,” Chief Arnold said with a hint of disbelief. “I think that was largely due to the fact that we had to shut down the highway.”

An official cause of the fire is still under investigation at this time. The store will be closed for some time. All gas and electricity had to be shut off until a cause is determined as to prevent the possibility of another fire.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment