Faulty window air conditioner to blame for early morning fire
POSTED: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 12:30pm
UPDATED: Friday, March 30, 2012 - 12:34pm
BATON ROUGE, LA (NBC33) — A faulty window air conditioning unit is to blame for a fire that happened this morning at a Baton Rouge home.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department responded to the call shortly before 9:30 a.m. on Friday, March 30. When they arrived to the home on Fairfields Drive the fire had spread to the attic, which generally causes fires to spread faster, or even spread to neighboring homes.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames in roughly 20 minutes.
One person was in the home when the fire started. She says the smoke detector alerted her to the flames and she was able to successfully escape without harm.
Investigators believe the fire started due to a malfunction in a window air conditioning unit.
The total damage caused to the home is estimated at $70,000.