Electrical malfunction sparks blaze in Baton Rouge home

Electrical malfunction sparks blaze in Baton Rouge home

POSTED: Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 8:00pm

UPDATED: Saturday, August 18, 2012 - 8:04pm

An electrical malfunction is believed to be the cause of a fire at a Baton Rouge home.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department was called to the home on Monmouth Street at around 9:15 a.m. on Saturday, Aug. 18. When they arrived they found flames coming from the roof of the home.

We’re told the occupants of the home were sleeping when the fire started. An observant neighbor noticed the flames and alerted them of danger. They were able to escape unharmed.

Investigators believe an electrical short in the attic was what sparked the blaze. The damage was contained to the attic, but smoke and water damage did occur in the living area of the home. We’re told the damage is estimated at $40,000.

Total wind gusts = 20 miles per hour. We’ve had two inches of rain in the Baton Rouge area as of 6:00 p.m.
  

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment