Electrical malfunction sparks blaze in Baton Rouge apartment, 6 people displaced
POSTED: Friday, September 27, 2013 - 12:30pm
UPDATED: Friday, September 27, 2013 - 12:40pm
BATON ROUGE, LA (NBC33) — An electrical malfunction started a fire early this morning that displaced six people.
The Baton Rouge Fire Department responded to the call shortly before 2:30 a.m. on Friday, Sept. 27. When fire fighters arrived to the four-plex apartment on N. 39th Street, they located the fire in the upstairs apartment.
“All the residents escaped unharmed before fire fighters arrived,” Curt Monte, Baton Rouge Fire Department, explained. “The fire damage was contained to the unit of origin.”
However, the units below did sustain heavy smoke and water damage, forcing its occupants to find shelter elsewhere.
“The Red Cross was called to the scene to assist the residents,” Monte noted.
In all, the total damage caused is estimated at $215,000.
At the same time fire fighters were working to extinguish this blaze, they were still on the scene of a fire that claimed the life of a Baton Rouge man. That fire started roughly one hour prior at a home located on N. 38th Street.