Attic fan sparks blaze that causes $65,000 of damage to Baker home

Attic fan sparks blaze that causes $65,000 of damage to Baker home
Photo provided by MGN Online.

POSTED: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 5:30pm

UPDATED: Friday, August 16, 2013 - 5:45pm

An old attic fan is believed to be responsible for sparking a blaze that caused $65,000 of damage to a home.

The Baker Fire Department reports that the emergency call came in around 7:30 on Thursday, Aug. 15. When firefighters arrived on scene, they saw a thick plume of smoke pouring out of the rear bedroom window.

Officials say neighbors told firefighters that a large family lived in the home. They were able to account for ten family members and no one was harmed.

The home, on the other hand, sustained major damage. Officials believe the attic fan was to blame, but have not determined whether it was in use when the fire started.

The Red Cross is assisting the family.

“We are grateful that these families were able to escape the fire unharmed. But the trauma of loss by fire is hard to escape – especially for the children,” said Red Cross chapter executive Bobbi Zaunbrecher. “I am especially proud of the Red Cross volunteers on scene who helped them find hope and comfort on a truly terrible day.”

To make a financial gift to your local Red Cross to help people affected by house fires and other disasters here in the United States and around the world, you can click, call or text – visit www.redcross.org/batonrouge, call (225) 291-4533, or text the word REDCROSS to 90999 to make a $10 donation.

 

 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment