Ashes dumped in trash can set carport of Baton Rouge home ablaze

Ashes dumped in trash can set carport of Baton Rouge home ablaze

POSTED: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 8:00pm

UPDATED: Monday, November 26, 2012 - 8:04pm

The carport of a Baton Rouge home caught fire today due to ashes from the fireplace that were dumped in a trash can before they were completely cooled.

The Baton Rouge Fire Department reports that the fire started at a home on Woodbrook shortly before 3:00 p.m. on Monday, Nov. 26. Officials say a resident of the home placed ashes from the fireplace in a trash can located outside of the home. Although the owner thought the ashes were fully cooled, they still managed to set the trash on fire, causing it to spread to the carport.

Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish the blaze, preventing it from damaging the vehicles. However, the roof did sustain some damage and caused roughly $10,000 in damage.

Officials recommend placing ashes in a metal bucket and soaking them in water before placing them in a trash can. They also suggest frequent fireplace cleanings and utilizing a screen to help keep your home safe.

Click here for tips on staying safe from fire during the winter months.
 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment