90-year-old man dies in fire

90-year-old man dies in fire
Friday, November 18, 2011 - 12:06pm

State Fire Marshal H. “Butch” Browning released information in reference to a home fire this morning that has claimed the life of one man and injured his daughter.

The Eunice Fire Department responded at 7:27 this morning to a home on North 3rd Street for a report that a residence was on fire. Firefighters arrived minutes later to discover heavy smoke pouring out of every window.

They found the body of Alvin Reed, 90, on the rear porch; he apparently died while attempted to escape the burning building.

His daughter however, was able to escape the building but not after suffering burns and smoke inhalation, she was transported to Acadiana Medical Center where she is listed in stable condition.

State Fire Marshal Deputies are on the scene investigating this tragic fire. At this time no cause has been determined. It appears that no working smoke alarms were in the home and this contributed to the inability for the occupants to evacuate the home safely.

Fire Marshal Browning reminds citizens, “You must have working smoke alarms in your home. The winter season is upon us and we experience a high number of fire deaths that commonly are contributed to the lack of alarms to wake people up. Most deaths can be prevented with the use of smoke alarms”.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment