Save money on hunting gear with Second Amendment Weekend Sales Tax Holiday
POSTED: Sunday, September 1, 2013 - 2:00pm
UPDATED: Sunday, September 1, 2013 - 2:04pm
BATON ROUGE, LA — Guns, ammunition and other kinds of hunting gear are free from sales tax Friday, September 6, through Sunday, September 8.
The Louisiana Second Amendment Weekend Sales Tax Holiday exempts from the four percent state sales tax and all local sales taxes a wide range of supplies, including:
• Shotguns, rifles, pistols, revolvers or other handguns
• Ammunition intended to be fired from a gun or firearm
• Accessories designed to be used for hunting
• Apparel such as safety gear, camouflage, clothing, jackets, hats, gloves, mittens, face masks and thermal underwear for use while hunting
• Off-road vehicles such as all-terrain vehicles designed for hunting. The exemption does not apply to golf carts, bikes, motorcycles, tractors, or motor vehicles that may be legally driven on highways.
The sales tax exemption is for individual purchases only, not for business purchases.
By state law, the Louisiana Second Amendment Weekend Sales Tax Holiday is an annual event that takes place the first consecutive Friday through Sunday each September.
Visit www.revenue.louisiana.gov/secondamendment for more information, including the full list of eligible items, excluded items and special provisions.