Firefighter relives 32-years of service

News
Thursday, September 23, 2010 - 5:07pm

The Baton Rouge Fire Department responded to house fire this afternoon on Cypress Cedar Street that caused of 90,000 worth of damage. The fire was caused by an electrical short in an outside storage room. It was able to spread quickly by a massive amount of materials being stored in the attic.

“Unfortunately there was a lot of stuff stored inside the attic, which not only causes a lot of fire load of things that will burn in the home, but it does compromise fire attack, too,” Curte Monte, Baton Rouge Fire Department, said. “Therefore we always recommend people not to use their attic as a storage area.”

Among those firefighters who worked the scene was Fire Chief John Austin, who is retiring from service on Monday. Today could be his last working fire after thirty-two years of service. We talked to Austin to gain a little perspective about living life in the heat of action.
 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment