Fire damages Port Allen apartment complex
POSTED: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 2:53am
UPDATED: Thursday, October 31, 2013 - 9:36am
PORT ALLEN, LA (NBC33) — Several families are just happy to be safe this morning after a blaze ripped through an apartment complex on Avenue A.
"It was scary because I've never experienced anything like that on my own with just myself and my two children," said resident Tiara Veal, holding her 1-year-old child.
The Port Allen Fire Department had to call in for back up. The Baton Rouge, Erwinville, and Brusly Fire Departments came to assist.
"Everyone was able to get out their primary door. We were thankful that there were no injuries on the scene tonight," said Port Allen Assistant Fire Chief, Charles Stephens.
It is believed the fire was sparked in a kitchen in one of the apartment units. 2 units were damaged. Once the hot spots are extinguished, victims can go inside to see what they can salvage.