Entergy gives tips for cutting energy costs
BATON ROUGE (NBC33) — NEW ORLEANS – Although summer ushers in another round of extreme temperatures, customers don’t have to sweat their bills. Small habitual changes can help consumers reduce heavy usage and lower costs.
“Maintaining a comfortable climate in your home often requires additional energy during the summer and winter months,” said Dennis Dawsey, vice president of customer service in Louisiana. “We learned during this past volatile winter that being prepared is the key to reducing consumption without sacrificing comfort.”
Entergy encourages customers to use these effective methods to save money while staying cool:
- Set your thermostat to 78 degrees or the highest comfortable temperature. Each degree cooler than 78 will increase your bill as much as 3 percent.
- Circulate the cool air in your home with ceiling, oscillating or box fans. The average ceiling fan makes a room feel seven degrees cooler.
- Use kitchen and bathroom exhaust fans to remove excess heat and humidity caused by cooking, laundering and bathing. High humidity makes our bodies hold more heat.
- Avoid using the stove if possible and consider grilling outside instead.
- Make plans to use dishwashers, washing machines and dryers – which add heat and moisture to your home – during the coolest part of the day.
- Don't block air vents with curtains, shades or furniture.
- Turn off unnecessary lights during hot weather and consider switching to cooler, energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs where light is needed.
Additional Save Me Money do-it-yourself videos are available at entergysavings.com. The interactive tutorials provide vital home weatherization techniques, such as installing programmable thermostats, caulking windows and doors, changing air filters and installing insulation to name a few.
Entergy's Louisiana utility companies provide electric service to more than one million customers through the operating companies Entergy Louisiana, LLC and Entergy Gulf States Louisiana, L.L.C. and natural gas service to nearly 93,000 customers in the greater Baton Rouge area through Entergy Gulf States Louisiana. With operations in southern, central and northeastern Louisiana, the companies are subsidiaries of Entergy Corporation.
Entergy New Orleans, Inc. is an electric and gas utility that serves Louisiana’s Orleans Parish. The company provides electricity to more than 169,000 customers and natural gas to more than 100,000 customers. Entergy New Orleans is a subsidiary of Entergy Corporation.
Entergy Corporation is an integrated energy company engaged primarily in electric power production and retail distribution operations. Entergy owns and operates power plants with approximately 30,000 megawatts of electric generating capacity, including more than 10,000 megawatts of nuclear power, making it one of the nation’s leading nuclear generators. Entergy delivers electricity to 2.8 million utility customers in Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. Entergy has annual revenues of more than $11 billion and approximately 14,000 employees.