Eight charged in $45 million cybertheft bank heist

Eight charged in $45 million cybertheft bank heist
Photo provided by MGN Online
News

POSTED: Friday, May 10, 2013 - 7:00am

UPDATED: Friday, May 10, 2013 - 7:04am

Federal prosecutors unsealed charges Thursday against an alleged cybertheft ring accused of stealing $45 million from banks around the globe and using the loot for Rolex watches, luxury cars and other booty.

The charges were announced in Brooklyn, N.Y., by U.S. Attorney Loretta Lynch.

The eight defendants charged Thursday withdrew $2.8 million from New York banks in two separate attacks this past December and February, Lynch said. Each attack was pulled off in a matter of hours.

While the eight were taking the money from the New York banks, additional co-conspirators made more than $42 million in withdrawals at other banks across the world.

Authorities are still searching for other members of the global crime ring, Lynch said.

How the alleged theft went down

The ring used prepaid MasterCard debit cards that were issued by the National Bank of Ras Al-Khaimah PSC, located in the United Arab Emirates, and the Bank of Muscat, located in Oman.

The thieves hacked into the banks' systems to drastically increase the amount available on the cards, and then used the cards to withdraw money at banks around the world.

The eight suspects allegedly made nearly 3,800 separate transactions to withdraw the $2.8 million. That makes it the second largest theft on record in New York City, surpassed only by the Lufthansa heist made famous in the movie "Goodfellas."

It's unclear where $45 million ranks in terms of global bank robberies.

During the first attack, the New York group allegedly withdrew $400,000 in 750 separate ATM transactions at more than 140 different locations in New York City in less than three hours.

Then in February, the perps withdrew $2.4 million in 3,000 ATM withdrawals made in just over 10 hours.

They deposited some of the cash into bank accounts, in one case putting almost $150,000 in $20 bills into one account. They also bought expensive cars, watches and other luxury items.

Federal authorities said they have seized bank accounts, hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash, two Rolex watches and a Mercedes SUV. They are in the process of taking possession of a Porsche.

According to a statement from Lynch's office, one of the eight defendants, Alberto Yusi Lajud-Peña, described in the indictment as the leader of the group, was murdered in the Domincan Republic on April 27. The others were arrested over a six-week period that began March 27 and ended Tuesday.

Lynch, the prosecutor, said her office worked with law enforcement authorities in 16 countries -- including Japan, Canada, Germany and Romania -- as part of the investigation.

"The defendants and their co-conspirators participated in a massive 21st century bank heist that reached across the Internet and stretched around the globe," said Lynch. "In the place of guns and masks, this cybercrime organization used laptops and the Internet."

MasterCard issued a statement saying that it cooperated with the investigation and that its systems were not involved or compromised during these cyberattacks.

Cybercrime has become an issue of growing concern, especially as the number of hacking attacks from overseas has grown. Even the Federal Reserve was hacked from overseas earlier this year.

While hacking attacks often steal personal information that can then be used in identity theft schemes, hacking theft from banks and credit card companies by organized crime is also a growing problem. Two years ago, Citigroup admitted that more than $2.7 million was stolen from 3,400 accounts during a hacking attack. 

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment