Denham Springs family moves forward after fire destroys home

Photo provided by staff.
News

POSTED: Tuesday, February 25, 2014 - 6:16pm

UPDATED: Wednesday, February 26, 2014 - 11:10am

Imagine losing every material possession you have to a fire. Baby photos, mementos and memories all gone in an instant. That's what happened over the weekend to one Denham Springs family.

In one night, the Johnson family lost everything. Now they're left with memories of one of the scariest nights of their lives.

"I didn't really know what to do. I started smelling smoke, and I got really scared," Anna said.

The fire started in the garage, and it spread quickly.

"It just got too hot too fast, and it spread up into the attic. It was kind of over at that point," Randy Johnson said.

All they could do was grab a few things and get out.

"I grabbed my computer. I grabbed some bills, some medicine, some jewelry of my wife's, and by that time the power was already out and the house was filling up with smoke," Randy said.

"911 told me to make sure everyone was out of the house. As soon as they told me that, I remembered the dogs were inside," Nathan Johnson said.

So Nathan went back inside because he was worried about his dogs not so much about himself.

"I cut up my knee and the side of my leg, so it was pretty scary," Nathan said.

"There's no telling what could have happened, what would've happened, and God has blessed us tremendously," Randy said.

Having faith is easy for Randy. He's the pastor of Florida Boulevard Baptist Church which means he has a community behind him.

"We had neighbors put hundreds of dollars in my pocket while we're standing on the side of the road," Randy said.

"I'm still kind of edgy and everything, but I'm thankful for all the people who have helped and have provided us clothes and shoes," Anna said.

If you'd like to help, you can go here: http://www.fbbc.org/

Click here to "like" this reporter on Facebook.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment