BP to sue maker of blowout preventer
POSTED: Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 6:22pm
UPDATED: Thursday, April 21, 2011 - 6:25pm
Baton Rouge, La (NBC33) — “With something of this magnitude and this amount of economic loss and loss of life, you know was going to generate a tremendous amount of lawsuits,” states Gordon McKernan, a lawyer that represented one of the families who lost a loved one in the BP oil rig explosion.
And that's exactly what's happened up and down the Gulf Coast over the last year to both small and large businesses.
“This has had a rippling effect across Louisiana, the Gulf South… we get calls from all over the country,” says McKernan.
On the one year anniversary of the Crisis, BP sued the maker of the failed blowout preventer, TransOcean, for $40 billion. BP says the preventer was “unreasonably dangerous”.
TransOcean calls the lawsuit desperate; McKernan says it makes sense.
As long as BP keeps dangling the dollars, people will keep settling out of court. However, some of the larger cases go to court early next year.
That's when a judge will decide who's responsible for the Crisis on the Coast.