Man runs stop sign, takes deputies on high speed chase, almost drowns

Man runs stop sign, takes deputies on high speed chase, almost drowns
Tuesday, July 10, 2012 - 2:10pm

A Houma man nearly killed himself after he crashed his motorcycle into a canal while attempting to flee from deputies. The high speed chase lasted for over 8 miles and was all to avoid being pulled over for running a stop sign.

The Lafourche Parish Sheriff’s Office reports that the incident occurred on Sunday, July 8, shortly after 4:00 a.m. They say a deputy observed the suspect, Kenneth Wagner, 32, of Houma riding his motorcycle on Philip Street in Raceland. They say Wagner failed to stop at a sign and the deputy attempted a traffic stop.

Officials say Wagner continued driving southbound on LA-1 for roughly 8 miles at a top speed of 120 miles per hour. They say he also failed to stop at the traffic lights located along the way.

Unable to shake the deputy, Wagner eventually turned into a residential neighborhood in the town of Lockport. That’s when Wagner ended up in the Company Canal located at the edge of the property.

When deputies arrived at the canal they found Wagner in the water. He was struggling to swim, so one of the deputies jumped into the canal and helped him to the shore.

Once at the shore, Wagner complained of difficulty breathing and shoulder pain. Emergency medical technicians with Acadian Ambulance were called to the scene. They treated Wagner and he was released to deputies.

The motorcycle was recovered from the canal that morning.

Wagner was arrested and transported to the Lafourche Parish Detention Center in Thibodaux where he was booked with Aggravated Flight from an Officer, Criminal Trespassing, Failure to Stop at a Stop Sign, Improper Turn, and No Insurance.

Wagner is being held on $10,450 bond as set by Judge Jerome Barbera III, and an additional hold has been placed on him by the Louisiana Department of Probation and Parole.

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment