Crime prevention: Police offer tips to avoid 'crimes of opportunity'
POSTED: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 6:00am
UPDATED: Thursday, August 15, 2013 - 6:04am
THIBODAUX, LA — A would be thief or burglar looks for “crimes of opportunity;” crimes with big reward and little risk.
Thibodaux Chief of Police Scott Silverii shared a few tips to make your property more secure and less appealing to a criminal.
- Never leave doors unlocked, even if you only anticipate being somewhere for a few minutes.
- Don’t leave windows open while you are at work or away from your home.
- If you have a burglar alarm system, make sure that it is activated whenever you are away from home
- If you have a video surveillance system, please have the roadway viewable to the camera
- Make sure adequate locks are installed on all doors, and that the door frames are secure and in good condition.
- If you are planning to be away for a while, let a neighbor know when you are leaving and returning. Plan to have your mail and newspaper picked up or stopped for the duration.
If you do see something suspicious in your area, call your local law enforcement or Crime Stoppers at (225) 344-STOP (7867). You can also text your tip to CRIMES (274637). Include CS225 at the beginning of your message.