Baton Rouge drive-by shooter arrested on attempted murder charges

Baton Rouge drive-by shooter arrested on attempted murder charges
CrimeTracker

POSTED: Tuesday, April 9, 2013 - 1:00pm

UPDATED: Tuesday, April 9, 2013 - 1:04pm

A Baton Rouge man has been arrested on attempted murder charges after committing a drive-by shooting in Baker.

On April 5 at around 10:45 p.m., officers with the Baker Police Department responded to a shooting in the 600 block of Myrtle Street.

Two men riding in a Chevy Tahoe were shot at by a man driving a Nissan Altima. The driver of the SUV told police that he recognized the shooter, but claimed he did not know the shooter’s name. The driver did say that the shooter was dating his ex-girlfriend, and he had had numerous verbal and physical run-ins with the shooter.

Both victims told officials that if they saw the shooter again, they would be able to recognize him.

Detectives were able to identify the shooter as Chavis Demond Duncan Jr., 20, based on reports of the fights he had with the driver.

A line-up that included a photo of Duncan was presented to both the driver and passenger of the SUV; neither of the victims claimed to see the shooter.

At around this time, Duncan was found at his residence in Baton Rouge and sent to the Baker Police Department for questioning. He claimed he had nothing to do with the drive-by and was soon released.

On the morning of April 8, the driver of the SUV returned to the police station. He told police that he purposefully failed to identify Duncan in the lineup because he wanted to try and “take care of the matter himself.” The driver then pointed out Duncan out of another lineup without hesitation.

Duncan was charged with two counts of Attempted First-Degree Murder, Illegal Use Of Weapons, Aggravated Criminal Damage To Property and Assault By Drive-By Shooting.

He had previously been arrested for Aggravated Assault and Armed Robbery.
  

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment