End-of-the-year celebration goes up in smoke at Lafayette elementary; no injuries
POSTED: Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 3:15pm
UPDATED: Thursday, May 23, 2013 - 3:41pm
LAFAYETTE, LA (NBC33) — An end-of-the-year celebration at an elementary school in Lafayette ended in flames this afternoon. The good news is that no one was hurt.
The fire broke out at roughly 3:00 p.m. at Prairie Elementary. The school had various small carnival rides set up for the children. After the festivities ended, one of the rides went up in flames.
“We were at the carnival all day and the train had been having trouble. There were several times that it stopped all together,” Kelly Feehan, mother of a student, explained. “The children were out of harms way by the time it caught on fire.”
Firefighters were able to extinguish the blaze before it could do any major damage to other equipment in the area. Investigators determined that source of the fire was a tractor used to pull the train.
“My guess is that engine overheated,” Feehan said.