Electrical malfunction blamed after school bus goes up in flames

Caught on Camera

POSTED: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 5:00pm

UPDATED: Friday, February 10, 2012 - 5:04pm

A bus driver is being credited for her quick thinking when a fire broke out on a Charlotte, North Carolina school bus Wednesday.

Lindora Richardson put her emergency training to use and was able to get the six students on board off the bus and to safety.

The fire broke out around 5 p.m. on Wednesday after Richardson smelled an odd odor coming from the front of the bus.

"The smell was wrong cause I know being on the bus we have to check for smells and leaks," she said.

She quickly instructed all the students to exit the back of the bus and ushered them away from the bus before it was engulfed in flames.

"I opened the emergency door and secured the door and ushered each kid down until I got them all off the bus," Richardson.

Richardson said she does not see herself as a hero.

"I don't think so, this is just part of my job description," she said. "Just grateful to be here to do my job, again the next day."

Comments News Comments

Post new Comment